Looking Back to 2019

Another year has passed. It is unbelievable that it is now 2020 and I am turning 20 this year. Last year, 2019, was pretty eventful-- there were both ups and downs, happy and sad moments, and lessons learned. There were things that I did not expect to happen-- plot twists as they call. As I look back, the past year has made me stronger and braver but also kinder.

The First Half of 2019

Towards the End of High School

The first quarter of 2019 was the last quarter of my high school life. Those were the last months I was with my high school friends. I also think those were also the happiest days of my high school life. We were so spontaneous and ready to go to all the adventures. We were enjoying every moment we have left before parting ways.

Often times, we found ourselves randomly asking each other to eat samgyeopsal after class. Underground samgyeopsal was definitely our favorite place. We were also going at the backyard picking mangoes even though it was prohibited. They were so tasty, maybe because they were free and also because it was shared. It also became our hobby to eat tusok-tusok during Physics. Even Mrs. Santos was also asking us to buy her french fries.

After High School

After graduation, life seemed so different. I did not get to see my friends often. I stayed home mostly for the whole five months of break. Reading books and watching K-drama is what I did to pass time. I also did an advance reading in Anatomy and Physiology as I have heard it was a difficult course. I also tried doing beaded trees which I learned from Ms. Mongcal. 

Enrollment period also started which happened to be the first plot twist of my 2019. I have dreamt and envisioned myself to be studying in UST for college. But it just did not happen since I was waitlisted. I enrolled in FEU and decided to take up BS in Nursing. I was quite sad that I was not able to my dream university but I was optimistic that FEU will help me to achieve my other goals.

The Second Half of 2019

The Start of College

I started college on the third quarter of 2019. At first, I was agitated. I do not know what I am supposed to do. It was my first time to be away from home for a long time and to live and be with three other people in the same room. I was. quite uncomfortable within the first few days since I was used to being on my own in my own room back home. As I started being independent, I realized I have to be responsible for myself. I knew to clean my own space, wash the dishes and my clothes, buy my own food, and budget my allowance.

On my first week of college, I felt super awkward. I did not know how to make friends. I tagged along with Denise who was good at socializing. I am usually just there, being quiet. I honestly did not want lunch time to come because I do not know whom to go with. But as time passed by, I got to make friends. Fannie became my first close friend in college. We were always together since second week.

Making Friends

One day, Nika with her friends invited the two of us to eat with them in the carinderia near her dorm. Then, they made a group chat which included all of us. That was the start of our friendship. We started eating together during lunch breaks. I also became friends with my other classmates. I became close with my AnaPhy lab group mates. They made the three hour session for me. Honestly, a lot of my classmates are kind but there were also bitches.

Academics as a College Student

Academics was fine. It was just different from high school because of the Student-Centered Learning paradigm imposed by the university. We had tons of readings-- some were interesting, others were boring, and there were also ones that were eye-openers like the articles about the Bataan Death March and the reign of Ferdinand Marcos. 

My self-studying skills also got better since we don’t expect lectures from our professors. I got used to reading long chapters in our textbook. There were countless times that I did not understand things in AnaPhy, especially the Urinary System. I also taught my classmates like the old times. We were also taught how to do marginal notes. That has been a lifesaver in studying readings.

TFN was the course that I dreaded all along. It was boring and the professor asked a lot of requirements. Admittedly, I did not study on most of our quizzes. But I prepared well for our midterms and I made a reviewer which I also shared with my classmates. I was so lazy and I exerted less effort of this course so I cannot blame anyone why I got a C+.

Places I have been to

On my first four months in Manila, there were places I got to visit. I went to Divisoria for the first time with my high school friends. I have also been to malls such as Robinsons Manila, SM Manila, SM Lanzaro, and Isetann. I also watched a UAAP game for the first time wherein I cheered for FEUMBT against UST. Leanne and I also attended mass at UST Church. Irra also invited me to go with her on Paskuhan. Yowell has also been our (high school friends and I) hang out place-- eating frozen yoghurt and catching up with our lives. 

Impulsively, Fannie, Mica, and I went to Taytay after we went from Divisoria. We had an overnight stay at Fannie’s home in Pasig. Although the traffic was so bad but that adventure was so fun. That day was one of the most memorable days of my college life.

My 19th Birthday

To celebrate my birthday, I brought with me my friends to our home. We went to Angeles to eat chicken wings at KL wings, which is my favorite. There was a simple feast at home wherein we ate together. In the morning, when the sun was not so high, we went to Eco Park to eat breakfast and breathe the air. We also went to Sky Ranch to ride some rides. It was so tiring but I enjoyed. That was also the day I first met my brother’s girlfriend.

I also received an iPad as a birthday gift from my sisters. It has been six years since I started wanting one.I am super lucky I had it when I wanted it the most and needed it somehow.  Although I had to add more to the price and buy the apple pencil with the money from my own pocket, I don’t regret purchasing it. Definitely a good investment for me as I will use it for school.

Last Plot Twists of 2019

Towards the end of the semester-- the end of the year also-- I had another plot twist. I was granted the RSA Scholarship which means I will not have to pay my tuition fee as long as I maintain a grade of 3.00 or 82. I was keeping my hopes low since I just tried to apply since Denise asked me to do so. I am so amazed and I feel so blessed. I am happy that I can be a less burden to my mom who had to leave us to work in Japan again.

When the grades were released on January 23, one of my classmates asked me to compute my QPA. She also taught me how. I did as she said and I learned that my QPA reached the requirement for the Dean’s List. This was super unexpected since I was super laid off during the semester. I did not think that being an honor student is a big deal in college; I just want to graduate on time.

2019 in a Nutshell

The first half of my 2019 is so different from the second half. I got to meet a lot of new people but I also had to leave others. I had to adjust to a new life and come out of my comfort zone. Last year was not smooth-sailing but I believe it made me braver like what FEU ought its tamaraws to be. I had plot twists but it did not include a boyfriend-- maybe next year, though. And it is okay. It is not like having a boyfriend is everything. I am super grateful that God guided me to get through the year amidst the challenges. I am ready to conquer another year with bravery and perseverance.


You may also like:





Comments