19 Books I've Read in 2018

   After a year since I started reading books, I continued this habit as I was not only entertained but I also gained knowledge from these. Reading more books has also been a goal I set at the beginning of 2018. In total, I have read 13 novels, 4 poetry books, and 2 self-help books.

 I believe these books have helped me to grow as a person. It helped me to see different point of views which made me more open-minded regarding issues that are happening in real life. They have also been an escape for me from the stressful and chaotic real world and also from social media.

So without further ado, these are the books I’ve read in 2018 with the lessons I learned from them! 

1. Flawed by Cecelia Ahern

 
   This is honestly a great book. It made me realize that I should always do what is right amidst the society being against to it. This also taught me that not every rule or law is for the sake of people. There are such rules that are for the greed of certain people. Aside from the lessons I’ve learnt from this book, I also like the plot. The suspense and mystery in it made me curious what the next chapter is about. That is why every time I hold the book, I keep saying just one last chapter until I realize it is already midnight and I already have to sleep. I also loved this because I have seen myself in the character of Celestine. I am a perfectionist trying to do everything well like her. In addition, she also likes Math <3. I can say this is one of my favorite books.

2. Girl in Pieces by Kathleen Glasgow


   This was the book I received from Steven on our Christmas exchange gift that means I did not personally choose the genre. It was about depression and self-harm which I was not that interested at. While I started reading it, around the first 25% of the book, I find it boring. I absolutely don’t get why she is cutting herself because I have always been afraid of blades and wounds and simply hurting myself. But when I reached the half way, I realized that depression is something not everyone is acquainted with, even me. It made me realize that everyone has their own problems but it is hard to vocalize it with others as they may be judged. Also, self-harm, drugs, etc. are their ways of coping with it. It made me more sensitive with the feelings of others because I will never know what battle they are fighting.

3. Perfect by Cecelia Ahern


   This book is the continuation of the book Flawed. After reading Flawed and knowing that it has a continuation, I went to National Bookstore right away to buy it. I was quite hesitant as I saw the price but it made me think if this will satisfy my curiosity then “why not buy it?”  Like the first book, it has a great plot. By this time, Celestine is tested whom to choose: herself or all the Flawed people.  I like that in making her decision, she has always used logic and evidences. I learned to always fight for what is right but always think how to do it with deep thinking and sound reasoning.

4. The Misbegotten by Katherine Webb


This book’s setting was in 1821 which made it quite hard for me to comprehend some words and sentences. In addition to that, it was kind of hard to imagine the place since I have no idea how it looks. Nevertheless, it was a complete package book that had romance, mystery, murder, and ambition. It is so far the thickest book I have read but I don’t have any regrets that I did. This book taught me that the heart never forgets its one true love even years have passed. Also, a kind heart can tame an evil inside a distressed heart. It is just, love, in all forms is powerful.

5. Why Great Men Fall by Wayde Goodall

   I just saw this book lying around my brother’s room. He bought it months ago but still has not finished it. I picked it up and started reading it even I am not a fan of non-fiction books. I was just so curious about it since he is talking about it sometimes. As I read it, I was fascinated about the things I have been learning even I was only in the first chapter. This book made me reflect every aspect of my life. I thought at first, it was only for men and businessmen but I learned it was for everyone. It thought me to make sound decisions and be a better person. It engraved in me that I should learn to listen to others so that can see my own mistakes before being drowned on the pit.

6. Evermore By Alyson Noel


    At first, I thought this was about a typical story of a vampire. But when I reached the end, I realized I was wrong. It was a light novel and a good book to pick if you just want to pass time and do not want to be emotionally drained. Also, this made me realize that two people being different from each other in a relationship make it complicated but with proper communication, it can work. In addition, Ever seeing others’ aura is terrifying but I find it fascinated because she can know what others think. Somehow, I would like to experience that even just for a while, definitely not forever because I am also afraid.

7. The Universe of Us, Lullabies, Memories, and Love & Misadventures by Lang Leav

    These are poetry books that I borrowed from my friend Lyka. I believe I have read all of these in a day with my classmates when we were doing nothing in class. It was kind of fun since we have been sharing with each other the poem or the prose that we really liked. I also noticed that our classroom was relatively quiet as everyone is busy having their focus on the books. They seemed to like reading poetries rather than other books such as text books or novels.  Personally, I prefer novels over poetry it is just because the effect of poem in me usually vanishes almost right after reading it. After all, these books are great romance novels. They kind of hurt, though.

8. Noli Me Tangere by Jose Rizal

  A book we should have read in class when I was in Grade 9 but because my teacher was kind of lazy, we barely read it. This book was written by Jose Rizal during the Spanish Colonial Period. I wanted to read it so I would know how was it like during that period. It showed me a glance regarding the difference of illustardos and indios at that time, the abuse of power of the rich people and those who had authority. Aside from the historical side of the novel, I also liked the romance in it. What happened between Maria Clara and Crisostomo was just super sad that I even shed a couple of tears. This book made me reflect on how Filipino’s patriotism today had been so different in the past. I honestly have noticed that we are now so fond of other’s culture instead of our own. In addition, I quite had a hard time reading it because I am not used to reading in Filipino as I have always read English books.

9. Holding Up the Universe by Jennifer Niven


   This book was recommended by my classmate. It was about a man who cannot remember faces and a woman who was entitled as the “America’s fattest teen.” I liked how this book has shown a perspective that not everyone is perfect. Jack who is trying to fit in and Libby who is fat had taught me to accept myself as whom I really am, especially the letter that Libby wrote “You are Wanted.” It honestly inspired me that despite I have insecurities, there are things that I should be grateful for. I actually have seen myself in Libby being fat and I have been teased when I was younger for being heavier that normal kids, even up to this time, occasionally, I’m still being embarrassed for being fat. After having read it, I realized that it does not matter if I am different. Also, other people will be shitty and insensitive but I should always understand others’ feelings. This quote is super true but remains unspoken “Sometimes people are just shitty. Sometimes they’re shitty because they’re afraid. Sometimes, they choose to be shitty to others before others can be shitty to them. Like defensive shittiness.” This is definitely one of my favorite books.

10. The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

    My friends said that they have watched the movie version of The Notebook and they liked it so much. But because I am not that fond of movies, I wanted to read the book first.  I started reading this book on the first quarter of 2017. But I got bored half way through because I was anticipating when will the flashback end, never did I not know that part of the story plays a huge part of how the story ends. Then, that was the time I stopped reading the book and jumped into another. After a year when I started it, I tried to continue so that once and for all I would know how it went. I continued reading then eventually finished it. This book showed a great imagery of what true love is and “’til death do us part.” Maybe first love really never dies or probably even after long time, the heart does not forget its true love. I do not know but it feels so magical, so magical that I do not know if it will happen in real life. Overall, it was a good book and maybe I would watch the movie.

11. The Little Prince 

I first knew about this in Grade 10 when we read an excerpt of it in class. Then in Grade 12, I once bumped into it in one of our books. I felt like I really have to read it so I put it in my reading list. When we went to Japan, I had a limited access to the Internet that’s why I decided to download some e-books on my phone so I can read when I am bored. On a night that I can’t sleep, I read it and little did I know that I will be able to finish it in one sitting. I definitely liked it because it described how children are different from adults. There are lots of times that younger ones are more reasonable and older ones can also be senseless, too. I honestly have seen this issue that adults do not listen to children when they should. Understanding comes into a two-way process. In addition, it showed the importance of appreciation. It is ourselves that gives value on a certain person or thing and not them. Even there would be a lot similar to them, we will always see their distinction because we love them.

12. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

A classic that people have said is a must read. When I was reading this, I was so hooked that it only took me two days to finish it. I like it how I got to know how racism was in the past. How black people were treated unjustly. I honestly admire Atticus for being a just lawyer defending someone different from him. He was so courageous to fight for the rights of the accused black man even it means going against his own group. Also, I’ve seen in him that he is a great dad teaching his children the right morals. He was also such a kind dad to teach his children to read, to allot time for them amidst his busy schedule, and most of all to make them feeling they are loved amidst not having a mother. One day, when I become a parent, myself, I would like to be like him. 

13. The Midwife’s Special Delivery by Carol Marinelli


Although I like medical-romance shows, this was the first medical-romance book that I read. This was a fresh story about an ob-gyn (Rory) who did not want to have a child and a midwife (Ally) who wanted to have her own family. I liked the book as it was so detailed about the instances in labor and delivery. That is also one of the reasons why I was curious about this book. This also showed that doctors are not God who can save everyone from death. It made me think what will I do or feel when someone dies on my own hands? I know I cannot do much but it scares me.  

14. How to Marry a Doctor by Nancy Robards Thompson


This was another medical romance book. It is about Jake who is a surgeon and Anna who is a nurse who have been best friends since they were young. They made a bet that in five dates, they will find the soul mate of the other. All their lives they have been in a platonic friendship. They have always been there for each other. They even have this Sadness Intervention Dance (SID) to cheer them up when they are lonely. While reading this, why did I not have a best friend like Rory who I can be so comfortable to be with. Then, it also depicted the value of faith and trust. There will be an occurrence in your life that will make you believe that a certain thing is not worth the risk and will make you believe you should not do it as it may hurt you. It is like you avoiding what have happened to someone. But in the end, at least you have to try because you’ll never know what the outcome will be. In general it was a great book.

15. Time Management

When I was watching a video of Mariana’s Study Corner, she had a list of resources that can help in improving productivity. This book was part of that list. I felt like I needed to read this to improve my time management skills amidst not liking to read non-fiction books. I got to understand the importance of time in my life. I realized I have been wasting my time by just lying of my bed, surfing the internet, and doing unimportant things. This also taught me that I should know how to prioritize tasks and if should really be doing them or I can ask someone to do it for me. This book has lots of valuable tips and tricks that actually work. After reading this book, I have been more productive, and it seemed like I have more than enoug  time to do what I love.

16. The Earl’s Convenient Wife by Marion Lennnox


(Still reading)

Those have been the books I have read in 2018. If you have other book recommendations and also if you already have read any of these share you thoughts with me in the comments.

Comments