10 Books I've Read in 2017


        "Boring" is the word that comes to my mind when I think about reading books. I was wondering how can people read a book that has hundreds of pages. It is not appealing to me seeing only tons of words in a page without even having a single picture. You know, I am that type of person who turns pages and only looking for pictures. 

       One day, as I was scrolling through Facebook around April of 2017, and 13 Reasons Why was so famous. I wanted to watch it but I do not have an access to Netflix and our Internet connection is the worst in the world. I scrolled through the comments, and someone suggested to read the book first. To cut the long story short, I downloaded an E-book of 13 Reasons Why and there I got into the habit of reading books. 

         In the end of 2017, I have read 10 books. Each of these books have taught me a lesson that I will always value in my life. Reading books has been a habit that I am grateful  that I was able to develop. So here are the Books I've Read in 2017:

1. 13 Reasons Why

        The first book I have read in my entire life. I have only read this book for less than 24 hours when I had trouble sleeping. I can say it was good at catching my attention as I got hooked to it. You know how thrilling it is when you are so excited in turning it page by page. It was also a great book to spread awareness about depression and suicides. I became more tactful to others as I keep in mind that they might be in a tough situation.

2. A Walk to Remember

        Also an e-book that I read. This book has been published for decades but its essence is still relevant up to this time. Not to mention, I have not watched the movie adaptation yet when I read this. It was so romantic even I was only reading it. The way the author put into words the emotions, I was truly amazed. It showed me what true love is even being out of their league. I truly admire Jamie's kindness and her trust to the Lord. A great book, indeed. Also the first romance book I have read.

3. The Prayer Box


       I bought this at the Book Sale and it was the first physical book I read. When I bought this, I was actually reading The Notebook but I switched to this book as I was so curious how the story goes. I have been liking romance novels but this was different. It is kind of a mystery, anticipating how Iola's life has been. This book also inspired me to make my own prayer box where I put my prayers written on a paper. It was fun writing my prayers to the Father, they were like love letters I am sending to Him.

4. Just 18 Summers


       Also got this book from Book Sale, I just don't like spending too much money on books (I am quite stingy, tho). Having read this on the summer before I reached Senior High School, it made me think I am lucky enough to still have two years to be with my family. As I was reading this book, it made me think how should I make my last two summers with my family memorable. When I enter college, I will be spending years away from home, I am not even sure how often I will go home. It made me realize that how important family is. I wish my other family members have read this, too.

5. The Bad Mother's Handbook


         Again, I bought this from Book Sale. As I was looking through the books on the shelves, I saw a familiar title. I remember having seen the commercial of The Bad Mother's Handbook on TV. It made me interested that's why I purchased it. At first, I thought it was really about bad mothers but this book had shown different types of mothers. These women that are so called mothers have various ways of parenting. But in the end, they will always love their children no matter what, even after committing mistakes and being an asshole.

6. The Fault in our Stars

         A very famous book, a blockbuster movie, both I have not read and watched. One day, when my cousin saw how I have been into reading, she offered me to lend her book. Who am I to say no, right? That was the opportunity I had to read the book that many have been raving. I cannot deny that I have cried a lot while reading this. It made me realize how important life is. Although I was the same age as Hazel, I have not enjoyed my life as she did. It is not because I am not dying, but rather I was too laid back and boring. I somehow got inspired by her to be courageous and adventurous. Life is too short. 

7. Sad Girls

        I have read poems of Lang Leav on Facebook, they were nice and creative. After seeing she wrote a novel for the first time, I got excited. About a month after the book was published, I rushed to National Bookstore and bought myself an own copy. That was the first book I bought whole price, which was actually expensive than the other books on NBS (it costed P780). The cover was so classy, and thrilling. I started reading it so soon. On the first pages, the book was so  mysterious. It makes me think what was that "lie" she was so afraid of. Reaching the half way mark, I was just dreading myself to finish it. In my opinion, it was kind of boring and lame. Hence, I became more aware of anxiety, suicides, and mental health problems. Now, my book has been passed on to my classmates who are interested in reading it.They, themselves, can't seem to finish it. I kind of regret spending that much in getting my own copy. Too bad for being a bandwagon.

8. Bitter Sweet Love


           Not a fan of poetry and prose but still I bought this book to give it a try. I felt the emotions of the author in his writings. Although it was kind of erotic, I still felt the real love in it. It is in my opinion realistic because love is not often just sweet, there are several times it is bitter. Another thing, I kind of feel that Lang Leav and Michael Faudet have the same style of writing. It made me wonder if there is really a Michael Faudet or he just exists in the imagination oh Lang. Nevertheless, there were quite poems that stuck in my mind but a lot just passed by not even remembering the gist. I am not even sure if I will ever purchase a book of his. They were pretty expensive for a collection of poems that does not even have much content (most of the the back pages are blank).

9. Me Before You

       Likewise with The Fault in our Stars, this was a book Nichole lent me. This book was the one I have read the longest (around five months). It was not because it was thick, I just find the first half of it boring. I was just pushing myself to finish it, really. But almost reaching the end, I got to see how great the story was. It made me think, what if that happens to me, will I do the same? I really cried so bad because of its ending. The yellow-black striped leggings was honestly funny. I heard this has sequels, I am interested how Louisa has been after the ending. 

10. For One More Day


       A book I received from Erin during the Christmas exchange gift. She told me that it is one of her favorite books. Honestly, it was a great book. It had taught me to value my life. There is no assurance that I can still another day. I am not supposed to regret how my life has been on the day of my death and ask for one more day to live. I am glad I finished reading this before finishing the year. It gave a new perspective of life that I will surely live by in the incoming New Year.

      On my first year of reading books, I learned how to appreciate literature more. I got to appreciate the great minds of the authors. I am truly glad that I started reading books. It did not only help me pass time, I also learned a lot and expanded my horizon by seeing different perspectives of the authors. So those are the 10 books I've read in 2017. There were couple of books I started by did not finish, though. By the end of 2018, I will try to write about the books I've read in 2018. Stay tuned!

      Have you read any of these book? Which among these is your favorite? Do you have any book recommendation? Share them on the comments below!

Comments