11 THINGS I LEARNED IN 11TH GRADE



         A month ago, I finished 11th Grade which is the first year of Senior High School in our country. Senior High School is the last two years of high school taken after four years of Junior High School. During these two years, students must choose a track/strand they want or related to their future career. I chose STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) strand under the Academic track. There are 11 things I learned in the whole school year (two semesters).

1. SET GOALS AND WORK IT OUT

      Having goals keep you motivated. But only setting goals will not make your way towards it. You have to work hard to achieve your goals. There is no shortcut to it. It takes perseverance to learn and have the grade you are aiming.

2. PROCRASTINATION AND CRAMMING ARE THE WORST ENEMIES

   Since I reached Senior High School, teachers have been so generous with giving projects, homework, and researches. Having so many tasks and very little time, you have to fit everything into your schedule. I learned to manage my time properly by starting right away so I can finish on time. I did not waste time to passively procrastinate and cram. Besides, you will be able to chill after doing all your tasks.

3. STUDYING IS A MUST

      Since I started going to school, I only started studying well this last school year. I only study before when there are long exams on the weekends before it. If w have quizzes, I only glanced through my notes 10 minutes before the period. Now, I realized how important studying is. Reading over your notes every after class can be beneficial since the information will retain which makes it easier for exams.


4. TRYING DIFFERENT LEARNING STYLES


    For the past years, I've stuck to reading books/notes and just highlighting information on it. Recently, I tried different methods where I can learn the lessons easily and effectively. I am glad I was introduced to QUIZLET which helped me a lot with my studies. I also utilized lots of practice worksheets which helped me with Calculus and Chemistry.

5. MAKING CLEAN AND UNDERSTANDABLE NOTES

    If you will see my notes from the past years, I bet you will strain your eyes. When I started watching studytubers' videos, somehow I was able to improve my notes. I started using cute and subtle highlighters which made them aesthetically pleasing. Clean notes make it easier to read through and learn more about the materials

6. BE COMPASSIONATE 

     One time, my teacher said that I was so kind when I was assisting my two classmates who are not so great at something we were doing. Then I realized that I was helping them. From that day on, I wanted to help them more, not because of the praise but to share with them what I can give. If you know your classmates are in need of help, try to lend a hand. Nothing much will be taken away from you but it will mean a lot to them.

7. SAVE AND MAKE MONEY

    You're not too young to save money. I allotted a portion of my allowance to my savings. I was aiming to go to a camp but it was canceled so it ended up on my savings account. Also, try to be minimalist. I didn't buy unnecessary things for the past year. I also made money by printing. My classmates were sending their files then I bring it to school the next day. I earned quite a lot since we always print our works. I also tutored my classmates in Math where they are most struggling with. In addition, I also helped in the research papers they were making. My customers were those who can afford to pay. Then, if someone is not capable of paying, I give/do it for free.

8. GRADES DO NOT MATTER 

    I finished the school year without seeing my grades not even once. I believed that what's important was that I am learning and not the grades my teachers were giving. I have always done my best and seeing my grades might make me believe I am great and I don't have to study or even I'm doing my best it is not enough. In the end, I think it was the right decision to make. I was the only honor student in our class.

9. ORGANIZE YOUR THINGS 

   Never tuck a loose paper on your book if you do not want it to end missing. I used a clear book to store all my papers for future references. There are also teachers who are collecting quizzes at the end of the semester, so keep them. Also, keep your bag, desk, and locker organized. It makes it so much easier to find things. Declutter it at least once a week.

10. MINGLE WITH YOUR FRIENDS

   I started going out with my friends to eat before we head home from school once in a while. There's no harm in not going straight home all the time. Take a break from studying. Enjoy life and make the best out of it.

11. LEARNING IS FUN

   I focused on improving my grades before thinking those are the basis for my knowledge but I shrugged that off. I started to love studying because I'm learning and I love the feeling of it. The more I study, the more I learn I know so little. It excites me knowing that I could get better. I can learn anything as long as I try.


    So those were the lessons I learned in 11th Grade. I hope you learned something from it. I am excited to go to 12th Grade and be a senior in high school. Thank you for reading it through. I know it is very long.

Comments