A Glimpse of Dominican Sisters' Lives: A Calling to Spiritual Vocation?

       "Am I called to be a sister?" 
       As I enter the door towards the convent, it felt so different. It was my first time there as students are prohibited to go upstairs. I have been so curious for a long time how does it look inside. Every time I pass, I cannot stop wondering how the sisters are inside their convent. And now, I finally have seen it with my own two eyes.

       It was an opportunity for us to be invited for dinner and for a prayer session. Even for a while, I had a glimpse of how is it like to be a Dominican sister. The sisters were so welcoming to all of us. They even prepared dinner for us and we all ate together. I think they really prepared well for our coming as they had three viands which I don't think is usual for a household. 
A group photo with Sister Marietta


        While we were eating dinner, they made sure that we are comfortable. They told us to eat well and to not be shy to get food again. We also had chit-chat wherein they asked us about the course we will take in college, where we are are planning to study, how many siblings do we have, etc.

     While having our conversation, we knew that some of my classmates were Sister Erlinda's students in Junior Kinder. Sadly, she barely remembers them. Speaking of students, they started talking about the students they had in the past. One of the sisters said that she had a student that is now a seminarian.

         On our way to the prayer room, we saw the portrait of Doña Rosenda who donated the land and the building where our school is standing. Sister Marietta told us that in the portrait of Doña Rosenda before, she was in poker face, not even a smirk was seen. But after she donated the land and founded the school, a smile is now marked on her portrait. She really wanted to have a school that would be administered by the Dominican sisters. That is thought to be her mission in life.

A group photo of Grade 12 girls with Sister Catalina
        As we went inside the prayer room, it was really solemn. It looked different from how we see its side as we pass by it upstairs. It was like a small chapel where only 12 people could sit on the pews. There is also a tabernacle where a chalice is placed. The altar was also lighted with candles. A piano was also played to accompany the songs.

         Then, as I seated I felt confused on what we were about to do. I was seated beside Sister Marietta. There were copies of songs and prayers on the pew which we held. Our prayer session soon started. We first prayed the holy rosary. Before it started, Sister Marietta asked me if I have a rosary. I said I'm not bringing one, then she lent me one.

        After the rosary, there were gospel readings and other bible readings, different prayers, and songs of praises. It was kind of shocking when Sister Marietta was giving me different books of prayers and songs. I did not know they have different resources when it comes to prayers. One thing that amused me as well is we had to sing in Spanish. My tongue was being crooked as I was trying my best to utter the words. Not to mention my wrong pronunciation.

         After singing and praying, we listened to the Bible readings that we heard from as speaker. Then, an instrumental music was played for us to reflect. Honestly, on that pause it made me think should I become a sister? 

         I remember when I was in Grade 9, on my NCAE results, spiritual vocation was top on my career choices. I have never had a boyfriend, it might be a calling of mine to be a sister, I thought. For me to be married to Jesus. What if being a DomNet member, and now being invited to experience this, I am called to the world of spiritual vocation. What if this is what I am born for?

        But I recalled what Lyka told me, she wants me to be a doctor and so do I. Maybe after achieving my dream of becoming a doctor, I will try to consider this path. A vocation is definitely not being forced. I have all the time in the world to think deeply. Hence, I can enter the convent later in my life... if I would like to.

The rosary Sister Marietta gave me
           After minutes of contemplating, I was back to reality. We had a concluding prayer then soon we left the prayer room. Sister  Marietta gave me a rosary as a remembrance. Then, the sisters initiated to send us home riding the school van. We brought Nafi and Hannah home, then Denise went on her own, and the rest were dropped at San Vicente.

         I am truly grateful to have this opportunity to shadow a sister. I thought it would feel boring or too spiritual for me. You know the typical phrase they say "Masilab ku" (I will be burnt). I was wrong. I felt happy and spiritually alive. It made me think I had the wrong beliefs about being a sister. Somehow, it made me want to be one in the future. Who knows what the future holds, right? 

          Sister Catalina told us to pray to God about our vocation. Marriage is not for all and what if our purpose is to live a spiritual life? Although she invited us to see what a life as a sister is, she does not force us to enter the convent. The decision is on us, after all. Indeed, it was a great opportunity for all of us. Nafi is now even thinking about being a sister.

Comments